Shin Somatics® Techniques
Shin is a Zen word for center, core, heart, body, mind, spirit,
and tree trunk, bringing attention to what is already one
Flow Movement Patterning
The above techniques focus on moving with ease and pleasure according to the nature and unique gifts of ones own body; they are based on skillful touch and kinaesthetic awareness, helping people to improve the form and function of their movement.
- Flow Movement Patterns evoke the body's relaxation response and help to relieve pain. They are designed to improve kinaesthetic awareness, reduce stress, improve posture and balance, enhance mobility and precision of movement. Newer and healthier patterns can be elicited through core movement explorations that replace self-destructive habits of movement and mind.
- SomaticRelease- Skillful hands-on bodywork along lines of least resistance carries the core movement process to a deeper level of body ease and integration.
- Contact Unwinding develops movement facilitation, both supportive and challenging, and includes partners bodywork. Through Contact Unwinding, walking becomes less restricted, the breath fuller, posture more naturally aligned with gravity. Communication and confidence are therefore enhanced.
Dance Experiences explored at Eastwest include:
- Responsive Dance
- Intuitive Dance
- Metamorphic Dance (Butoh influence)
- Intrinsic Dance
- Movement in Depth (Authentic Movement)
- Dance in the Environment and on Camera
Eastwest Techniques also feature a unique yoga based on infant movement development:
Shin Somatics® Moving Way
Land to Water Yoga
See an example of Contact Unwinding above
At Eastwest, students discover their own natural body and spontaneous grace in a non-competitive, non-judgmental atmosphere. Programs also offer opportunities for travel retreats.
Support Studies: The certification program requires previous study in three of the following areas: the performing arts, movement education, psychology, philosophy, and spiritual traditions. Improvisation in a performing arts area, functional anatomy and Kinesiology course work can be completed before or during the certification process. College classes in these subjects are acceptable as well as independent study contracted through Eastwest where tutorials are available in dance improvisation, philosophy, functional anatomy and kinesiology.